Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I was looking at a September 11, 1958 issue of  the Daily Defender while doing some local history research and came upon this listing of television programs. I wonder if my parents' generation which I consider the World War II generation, might have watched any of these shows.  I image that several programs were quite popular in some households whether in La Mott or in Chicago, where some family relocated.

"Ding Dong School" was billed as "the nursery school of the air" and was hosted by Miss Frances. "Romper Room," a similar program, was hosted in Philly by Miss Claire.  "Teen Club" was a teen-oriented music-variety program which I guess was a precursor to "Band Stand."  At one point the singer Leslie Uggams was a winner on this show.  Finally, "The Ford Show" aired and starred singer Tennessee Ernie Ford.

Of course there are several other shows which aired at the time.  These a just a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment