Sunday, September 22, 2013


Ellwood Ivins Steel Tube Works, Inc.

In the 1920 U.S. Census, I noted that several people in La Mott worked at a place called the "Tube Works." A couple of years before his death, I spoke to my neighbor Mr. Noah Fields hoping for some insight as to where and what this place was. Mr. Fields recalled how the company was near what we know as Melrose Park Station. After doing a bit of research at places like the Old York Road Historical Society, I found some interesting information.

The Ellwood Ivins Tube Works was built in 1893 and first put into operation in 1894 (Directory of Iron Steel Works of the United States, 1939). The Ivins company was located a stone's throw from the Oak Lane Station (now Melrose Park Station) just inside the Philadelphia/Cheltenham Township border in Montgomery County.

The company made all sorts of steel tubes that were components of other manufactured items. The factory is in the 1897 and 1909 atlases published by A. H. Mueller and Company for the Reading Railroad. While I don't know when the factory folded, I do know that in 1952 they advertised in an anniversary publication for Cheltenham Township.

As I research my families' histories and the history of La Mott, I am amazed and surprised at what I am continually learning. I am thrilled at the fact that so many bread-winners were able to work so close to home (Ivins Tube Works was within walking distance of La Mott) which meant more time with their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment